Hike: Rock Canyon

I had been itching to hike but my brother left. I naturally woke up at 7, debated on whether or not I could call a friend that early and then decided to take the dog instead. I am a smart hiker so why not. We got ready and sneaked out. Since Max is unable to hike and would have been sad had he realized I left without him, I let him see me lock Mick up and then locked him up and went back for Mick without him knowing. I know but it had to be done.

I hadn't been up Rock Canyon since the 90's. I remember my last walk up the canyon was with Buster and it had a very sketchy feel to it so we never went again. My friend Julie (avid hiker) told me it has changed quite a bit since then so I finally decided to give it another chance.
Pic 1: Mick approaching one of the several bridges. They were numbered and now I can't remember how many (Five?). I only remember that the water didn't begin until bridge 2 and that was just a trickle. I think this may have been bridge 3.

Pic 2: The purpose of this hike was to find the cut off to Slide Canyon so that we can hike to this side too. I think this may be it. Great sign! This sign is right near the fork in the trail. Left to Squaw Peak, Right to Rock Canyon Campground. Also where we left Mick's bag of goodies that we picked up on the way back down.

Pic 1: One of two random water fountains along the trail. No thanks, I brought my own water. I did see a girl fill up her water bottle though.

Pic 2: Mick posing on a rock. Notice the leash! This was also the second cut off to the trail that looped back around to the post without a sign above. I found that out for sure later.

Pic 1: Random pile of rocks. I had this feeling like I should add a rock but I didn't. 

Pic 2: One of many perfect spider webs. It was hard to capture a good picture of them. I didn't want to get too close. 

As I was hiking up this trail I noticed everyone that passed me on the way up was passing me on their way down. Wait, I'm not that slow. Okay, so maybe I am at first but then I hit my stride and can hike forever. I have trouble knowing when to turn back so loops work good for me. It turns out that they were only hiking to the fork in the trail and then turning back. I kept going and I took the fork to the right which leads to the campground. Someone I passed on their way down (past the fork) said their was a spot where you could look back and see the view.



Pic 1: View looking back toward Provo

Pic 2: View looking southeast? I think that is Provo Peak in the distance. There was a valley just past the fire pit and the trail went back to the left to get to the campground.

Pic 3: Same view as above but Panoramic and standing closer to the edge. There was a creek/river way below.

Since I was very alone up here and the trail ahead headed back down into another canyon I opted not to go any farther. We had a snack and when I was about to water Mick I heard someone coming. I met Cindy and Sandy and Penny (little girl) and Mary (hound dog). They were very nice and quite helpful with information about the trail. They told me that this was 2.5 miles according to her smart watch and that she thinks the campground was only about 10 minutes more. We all turned back anyway.

With confirmation and a tip to follow the trail down to the creek from the ladies we met Mick and I took the turn off where he had posed on the rock. We found this sign confirming that it was indeed the correct way to get to Slide Canyon from Rock Canyon or vise versa. This trail met back up with the post without a sign by the fork. Mick crossed a his first and second creek and did very well on a log. I'm so proud.

We took a selfie together when we were almost to the end of the trail. Mick did great. He drank water out of a small plastic bowl no problem. I wondered whether or not he would. I checked his paws for rocks several times and did find some. Also checked again when we got home and found another one stuck behind his claw with tree sap so I will be sure to check there too while hiking next time. Checked for ticks too. It was a 5 mile hike round trip.

Comments

Popular Posts