Summer Reading Challenge Accepted

My friend Michelle challenged herself and friends to read a book a week throughout the summer. I don't read that fast most of the time but I thought I'd still step it back up at my own pace.

Told in the uproariously entertaining voice readers have come to expect from Jen Lancaster, If You Were Here follows Amish-zombie-teen- romance author Mia and her husband Mac (and their pets) through the alternately frustrating, exciting, terrifying-but always funny-process of buying and renovating their first home in the Chicago suburbs that John hughes's movies made famous. Along their harrowing renovation journey, Mia and Mac get caught up in various wars with the homeowners' association, meet some less-than-friendly neighbors, and are joined by a hilarious cast of supporting characters, including a celebutard ex- landlady. As they struggle to adapt to their new surroundings- with Mac taking on the renovations himself- Mia and Mac will discover if their marriage is strong enough to survive months of DIY renovations. 

I finally finished reading this one. I did like it but it seemed to go on forever so I lost interest. It could have just been that I had other things going on. To speed myself up I checked out the next book I wanted so that it would remind me to hurry up and finish this one. A Good Read but not recommended by me as a clean read because of the language and a few other little off remarks. I loved how this book was centered around John Hughes with a lot of 80's references. It was edgy and made me laugh a lot. 

I broke my rule of reading in publishing order but it was a stand alone book and it looked interesting. 

Comments

Popular Posts