Deer Valley YMCA of Pittsburgh

Last Saturday I was invited to join Joey and the Mosers at DV for the day. Basically, that's all I was able to go for so that's when I went. I dropped Max off at work in the morning and got to camp around 10:30AM. The weather was overcast and it even rained a little but that is typical.

These are the Canadian Geese that now live at DV. I took it when Joey, Paul and I went for a walk around the lake. They now have a really nice walking path that connects the road on the other side of the lake to Chickenhawk Hwy. It is a really nice addition to the camp.

Last night, Friday, I went back. I left Max at work and drove up to camp. I got there before dinner.I was only there for a few hours this time but it was worth it.

This is a Luna moth. Paul's son Hunter showed it to me. Paul picked it up and moved it to the flowers to take this photo. We actually thought it was dead but as it turns out, it was not.

This is a northern water snake in the water. I took this photo during campfire. I often associate DV with snakes since I used to catch them there a lot as a kid.

I also took this one during campfire. I wandered off... the kissing bridge is right were the trees dip.

Paul took me on his kayak to get some more pictures. The sun had already pretty much gone over the hill so I was only able to take a few. I mostly enjoyed the the ride on the glassy lake.

We went over to get a better shot of the Canadian Geese and were able to get pretty close. They didn't seem to mind too bad.

I got to make S'Mores and smell like campfire. This is a good thing but that's not my marshmallow. Mine was toasted properly. I love the smell of campfire!

I took this one after campfire just before we went up to the snack bar and hung out for a little while.

Deer Valley has changed over the years. Even though some changes seem unnecessary, there were plenty of what I think are good changes like the path around the lake. They also do recycling and composting now. In addition to stacking your plates at the end of a meal, you are supposed to put all compost items on a green plate. They have fancy composting bins now and everyone has access to them.

Changes aside, it is still Deer Valley and has the same atmosphere. The world seems to stay still for the time you are there and veryone is your friend.

I left just before 10PM and picked up Max at 11:25PM. He was excited to see me of course. This was his 2nd practice run being boarded at work. Next time, an entire week. Good luck Max!

Comments

Popular Posts